2017/05/26

Hold My Calls and Pass the Diet Coke Petunia

Some days it's just not happenin.  I will be the first to admit, that most days are just not happenin.  But most days, we pick ourselves up and go about our business.  Today is just one of those days...

My day started at 6 a.m., not too early but when it starts by being woken up by a screaming 4 month old...it's too early.  I crawled back into bed with her, nursed her and we both fell asleep.  At some point we switched sides but I'm not quite sure when that happened...around 7 or 8 (I really can't remember which) she was wide awake again, staring at me and flailing her arms to get my attention.  So we got up, changer her diaper, and moved to the couch, where we got her some toys to play with while I had a chance to wake up a little more.  After internet surfing for a good little bit, the smell of an over-full sink really woke me up and I knew it was now or never for the dishes.  Dishwasher loaded and dishes by-hand done and it was time for breakfast.  My loving husband fixed us some cereal which was pretty good but I couldn't enjoy it by myself...Adalynn had to sit with me and have her own spoon to keep her occupied.  Moments later there's a cereal bowl on the floor (thankfully not mine) but it needed to be cleaned up stat.  Tyler goes and gets ready for work and all of a sudden it's 9 and my dear friend drops off her son so she can run some errands.  That was going well till he puked and I could barely clean it up because I was gagging so bad.  All of a sudden both babies are crying and I feel as if they are ganging up on me...it's not even 11.  I finally get Adalynn down for a nap and cuddle the baby boy.  As soon as he falls asleep, Adalynn wakes up and I have to rush to feed her.  My friend comes home from her errands and picks her son up and finally it's my lunch time.  A couple quick quesadillas and a diet coke later and I feel a little better.  However, I still need some R &R so it's Netflix and chill time.  Adalynn falls asleep again and I doze off a little too.  Wow, this is what peace feels like.  Then she's up and it's time to eat again...it's barely 2 p.m...We finish the movie and a poopy diaper later we are back in my room talking and I'm trying not to doze off...but I suddenly remember there is laundry to be folded...and I'm off again and it's not even 3.

Now you can only imagine how long this day continues to be.  It was never-ending really.  It was a typical day--just nothing was going right.  I didn't mind watching my friends sweet boy or even being woken up at 6 to feed my baby, it was just one of those days...

One of those days where you should have crawled back into bed and stayed there.
One of those days where the forecast says sunny and 75 but halfway through the day it decides to be snowing and 30 and on top of that you wore flip flops.
One of those days where even if everything is going right...it seems to be going wrong.

We've all had these days...and if you haven't you're lying to yourself but give yourself a pat on the back anyways.

Today, I should have just said, "hold my calls and pass the Diet Coke Petunia."  But I didn't...and if I had, it would have been perfectly okay because we all have days that just suck.  If you're having such a day...I encourage you to crawl into bed, Diet Coke (or whatever your beverage of choice may be) in hand, put on a favorite movie, and fall back asleep!  Because it's just not happenin and that is OKAY.

If for whatever reason, you cannot do this, let me tell you what really turned my day around (besides the Diet Coke and nap).  After folding the laundry, I came out to my computer to fiddle around on Facebook when suddenly I saw the Ensign sitting on my desk just begging to be read.  I laid down with my daughter and we read a talk from this past General Conference.  All of a sudden, my whole day was in perspective.  My whole life was in perspective really.  My day suddenly turned bright and I knew that even though it wasn't going right now, it would later.

My friends, some days you are going to want to say, "Hold my calls and pass the Diet Coke Petunia" and some days, we need that.  But on those days when we can't say that, I encourage you to read your scriptures or pray or listen to a conference talk or go to the Temple if possible.  I promise you, the sun will come out and your day will go from gloomy to bright.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parenting - We Can Do It!

Care for Self, Understand, Guide, Nurture, Motivate, Develop, and Advocate are the seven categories that the National Extension Parent Educ...