2017/10/01

Conference Time

LDS Conference Center
Salt Lake City, Utah
I love General Conference.  It's a spiritual retreat, that's free, every six months.  The speakers are good, the musics good, and the snacks are good.  What more could you ask for?

When I was younger, my family didn't have cable and the internet wasn't as well developed as it is now.  We had to get dressed in our Sunday clothes and drive down to the church to watch conference.  Now that's dedication.  Not by me, but by my parents who fought with four kids to get ready on a Saturday and Sunday and still make it on time for the meeting.  As we got older (and a little wealthier) we were able to watch conference from home by the internet or cable.  Along with getting older, we also got busier and our activities took up more of our schedules.  My parents always made sure we watched or listened to conference no matter what.  It was a priority to them and because of their examples, became a priority to us.

I moved away to college and lived right down the street from Temple Square and the conference center where General Conference is held.  It was always amazing to me to see the flocks of people who would come for the sessions.  It was another affirmation to me of how important these weekends are.

Now that I'm married and have my own family, my husband and I are prioritizing this special weekend to the best of our ability.  Sometimes this is hard due to my husbands job but we still try our best to listen or read all the talks.  We hope to impress upon our children the importance of these messages from our leaders.

I have learned many great things from conference throughout the years.  Many inspirations and answers to prayers have been brought to me through our church leaders messages.  I know that the Lord speaks to us and gives us counsel through General Conference.  He loves and cares about us and wants the best for us.

Did you enjoy conference this weekend?  What were some of your favorite talks?



Tips for a fun conference weekend with kids:
--Really great snacks (different snack for every session)
--Coloring pages
--General Conference Bingo (available on Pinterest)
--Create a special conference notebook for each child

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parenting - We Can Do It!

Care for Self, Understand, Guide, Nurture, Motivate, Develop, and Advocate are the seven categories that the National Extension Parent Educ...