2017/10/15

Turn That Frown Upside-Down

Recently, I've been really negative.  And I hate it.  Are things not going the way I wish they were? Of course not! But that doesn't mean I have a bad life!  So what am I going to do about it?  There are few things I try to do on the daily that really help me stay positive and not get too down on life.

1. Keep a running grateful list: This is one of the best things ever!  And if you have repeats? Who cares! It's for you and you alone to remind you of how many awesome things you have in your life.  Just write down 5 things a day.  That's it! And it can be anything as small as "chapstick" to as big as "upcoming vacation."  By remembering what you have, it's easier to not focus on what you don't!

2. Pray, Pray, Pray: Prayer is an essential part of my day.  I start and end my day in prayer and it always boosts me up.  I also tell the good Lord what I am thankful for and what I could use a boost with.  You have to have a little faith in something or someone to make this step work but I promise, it helps.  And if you need a boost in the middle of the grocery store?  Just say a little prayer in your heart to help out.

3. Write a Thank-You:  Thank you notes may seem a little "old fashioned" but if you write one a day, you will be so happy!  And the best part about it?  The person you are thanking will be happy too!  Just thank them for something they've done for you; i.e. setting an example, sharing a favorite recipe, being a good neighbor, recommending a good book, or just being a friend.  Everyone likes to receive mail, especially when it isn't a bill.

4. Listen or Play some good music:  I have always been an advocate for music.  It enriches the soul and lifts the spirit in many different ways.  Whether you play an instrument, sing, or just enjoy the songs, music will almost always put you in a better mood.  Whenever I'm having a hard time, I play the piano.  It soothes my soul and makes me feel so much happier, I can't even begin to describe it.  When a piano isn't a available, I plug in my headphones and jam out.  The world becomes instantly better and my problems tend to go away.

5. Take a nap:  This one, I'm really bad at.  I suck at taking naps.  But 15-20 minutes will restart your day in a jiffy and give you the opportunity to wake up on the right side of the bed!  Now, I don't recommend doing this one right after you wake up.  It's important to at least start your day before hitting the sheets again.

6.  Get lost in a book: We all need a way to escape and reading is an excellent one.  Whether its' romance, mystery, or adventure you are bound to forget your cares and dive into the story.  Not only will you escape your world, you may learn a few things that will help you too!

Having a negative attitude is a temporary thing.  If you really want to,  you can turn that frown upside-down.

What are some of your favorite ways to go from negative to positive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parenting - We Can Do It!

Care for Self, Understand, Guide, Nurture, Motivate, Develop, and Advocate are the seven categories that the National Extension Parent Educ...